22282VIC - Course in the Management of Asthma risks and emergencies in the workplace
This 4-hour course will provide you with an understanding of how to apply immediate First Aid to a person suffering from an Anaphylaxis or Asthma emergency in the workplace, home, school, in fact anywhere.
The course covers ASCIA Anaphylaxis Action plan, Asthma Action Plan, what to do in an emergency situation, what your legal requirements are to provide First Aid to someone having an anaphylaxis episode or Asthma Attack.
The course is compliant with workplace legislation and meets school, and child care centre requirements. There is an annual refresher required for all people holding this course qualification for currency to be maintained. This course is offered regularly as a public course at various venues or can be tailored to your workplace needs and suitable times.
- Assess the situation
- Provide appropriate first aid treatment for anaphylactic reaction
- Communicate details of the incident
- Correct storage, use, management of epipen adrenaline autoinjectors.
- Evaluate first aid response to anaphylactic reaction
- Identify individuals at risk of allergic reactions and anaphylaxis
- Develop individual’s anaphylaxis management plans
- Implement strategies to prevent allergic and anaphylactic reactions
- Develop and implement a communication plan to raise awareness of allergic reactions and anaphylaxis
- Develop Asthma Action plans, how to use them and store them
- Skills to correctly administer Asthma reliever medication and relief.
- Completing reporting requirements as per legislated standards
- ACECQA approved course content and delivery
- Practical exercise- how to use an EpiPen and scenario based
- Practical exercise – correct use of an asthma spacer and reliever puffer
- Workbook – written answer and multiple choice
- Group activities, scenarios and verbal questions and answers
There are no pre-requisites or co-requisites for this accredited course.
4 hours face to face training. Refresher course 2 hours. Mandatory to update every 12 months.
Participants must be able to demonstrate theoretical knowledge with the practical skills.
Upon successful completion of course, participants will receive a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment from Firstaidpro RTO #40407.
This accredited short course meets the requirements of the Victorian Department of Education (DEECD) and Early Childhood Development for staff working in schools and children services.